The University of California, Berkeley; Massachusetts Institute of Technology; and University of Wisconsin, Madison, hosted a series of four workshops during 2012 under a U.S. Department of Energy-sponsored Integrated Research Project (IRP) to review technical and licensing issues for fluoride-salt-cooled, high-temperature reactors (FHRs).
The four workshops are a central element of developing a FHR preliminary conceptual design report to be completed in 2014. The comments of the experts attending the workshops were integrated into the white papers. The IRP sincerely appreciates the input of all of the experts who attended and contributed to the workshops, as well as the hard work of the graduate students and postdoctoral scholars who organized the workshops, facilitated the sessions, and drafted the major sections of the white papers based on their research and the review and input of the workshop experts.
The four white papers are available for download by clicking on the links below:
- White Paper 1: FHR Subsystems Definition, Functional Requirement Definition, and Licensing Basis Event Identification (UCBTH-12-001)
- White Paper 2: FHR Methods and Experiments Program (UCBTH-12-002)
- White Paper 3: FHR Materials, Fuels and Components (UCBTH-12-003)
- White Paper 4: FHR Development Roadmap and Test Reactor Performance Requirements (UCBTH-12-004)
The first IRP that generated the four white papers above concluded at the end of 2014 and has subsequently been re-established. This subsequent IRP now also includes the University of New Mexico along with the three original member universities. A second FHR-focused IRP is also being funded by the U.S. DOE starting in 2015, and includes the Georgia Institute of Technology, The Ohio State University, Texas A&M University at College Station, Texas A&M University at Kingsville, and several other national and international partners. Both IRPs will host combined-IRP workshops related to FHR technology development and will produce related white papers; white papers from the MIT-led IRP workshops will be available for download by clicking on the links below:
- White Paper 1: FHR Code Benchmarking (UCBTH-15-001)
- White Paper 2: FHR Code Benchmarking – Thermal Hydraulics Working Group (UCBTH-16-002)
- White Paper 3: FHR Code Benchmarking – Neutronics Working Group
- White Paper 4: FHR Code Benchmarking – MATT Working Group
White papers from the Georgia Tech-led IRP workshops will be available for download below: